Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mothers & More!

As of this past Tuesday, September 4, 2012, I am one of two new co-leaders for Mothers & More Defiance Chapter 259.

Click for our FB page!

Our mission statement reads:

"Reconnect with yourself. Connect with other Mothers. Connect with the world around you! We focus on you - as a mother AND a woman in all the different stages of your life."

This is exactly what I have needed in my life for the last 2 years. I was diagnosed with Postpartum Depression sometime around when Jack was 6 or 9 months old. Which means I went that long without help for what was going on in my brain. And that is a HUGE problem. I was going through what I think a lot of new moms do, where I was having these thoughts and emotions and I thought it was just part of the process. Or like maybe it meant I wasn't a good mom because I didn't know how to BE a mother. It was terrible. But I finally reached a point where I sought medical attention for it. I got to cry to a stranger who prescribed me some drugs and some ways of dealing with things. I'm absolutely better now.

A lot of that has to do with Jack being older and my being a more "experienced" mom. But a lot of it has to do with Mothers & More. Ever since I moved from Maryland right after high school, I had sort of prided myself on my loner status. I didn't need friends to get by. And for a long time, that was really true. When Dan came along, he was just enough of a friend. I didn't need anything else.

Then Jack was born. And sure, I had an awesome partner helping with the parenting stuff. But he could not relate to what was happening to my body and my mind. He didn't understand my middle-of-the-night emotional breakdowns because I couldn't get Jack to stop crying. I needed mom friends my own age. Then one day in November 2011, a girl named Lisa came into my pharmacy and convinced me to go to an M&M meeting. I did, and it was so much fun. It was a couple of hours away from my child and into a room full of women who had been where I was.

M&M has been a huge savior for me in the last 10 months. It's about getting out of the house and being myself.... and not just my mom-self. I'm figuring out that there's a difference.

================================================================

Alright, enough bearing my soul and all that...

Technically, I don't officially take over until October, but it's already crazy.

We're organizing an event called Touch-A-Truck that's going to happen the 30th of this month.  Basically, it's a fundraiser for the chapter where for a fee you can bring your kids out to the Defiance County Airport to see a bunch of different vehicles. The kids can... wait for it... Touch A Truck. Eh, see what I did there?


We have airplanes, a helicopter, school buses, fire trucks, limos... all kinds of vehicles.

I was kind of inadvertently tossed into the planning committee for the event, and then the Board election came around, so now I'm feeling double pressure.

I haven't slept very well in the last few days and my TMJD was acting up today from harder-than-usual teeth grinding in my sleep last night, which equated to an all-day headache. Who knew I was such an anxious/stressed person? I definitely didn't used to be. Stupid adulthood. Time to step back and relax a little. The world does not hinge on Touch A Truck! Every time I wake up in the middle of the night until the 30th, that will be my mantra. Ha!

Hopefully the event is a huge success and we learn from our mistakes and this can become an annual event. It has great potential, so hopefully we can pull it out!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Cara!! We'll both be able to sleep on the 30th!! One thing that I've found out after all these years is that things DO get over with. And no amount of sleepless nights will make it get over any faster. That's what I tell MYSELF every sleepless night I have about this wedding!!! Keep your chin up! (and I'm so sorry that you had Postpartum depression.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mrs. T. Truthfully, I'd much rather help with Mary's wedding. :) Actually, that'd be super awesome.

    But hey, you got to hang out with Drag Queens!

    ReplyDelete