Wednesday, June 23, 2010

36-ish week appointment

I had my 36 week appointment today. Woke up at 10:03 and my appointment was scheduled at 10:20. Great. I like not having time to shower before a doctor's appointment. Gross. So we get there, I do the pee-in-a-cup thing, the nurse checks my blood pressure, then tells me the doctor is going to do the first internal exam today. OH SUPER! I'm even more glad I didn't have time to shower. Talk about awkward. But, I did shower twice yesterday, and I'm sure he's seen dirtier parts then mine. So whatever.

So they did the Group B Strep test where they took a culture of my cervix. That's plenty uncomfortable. Followed by a finger exam to determine if I've started dilating, which I haven't. Damn. But when we were eating lunch afterward, I told Dan that after Friday (when I'll be full-term), we're going to start walking the neighborhood to try to tempt things to get going. I'm ready to be done. I want to meet my kid and have plenty of time to hang out with him before I have to go back to work.

Yesterday we went to the health department, since I'm getting government-funded Medicaid, I qualify for WIC. I'm not so concerned with the WIC as I am the free breast pump they give to Medicaid moms. I really don't want to spend upwards of $300 on one in store if I don't have to. So we did the preliminary paperwork and have an hour-and-a-half long appointment set for Tuesday morning to do a bunch of other paperwork and figure out if I can get what I need. Plus, I get to meet a lactation consultant, which is epic. I'm super excited to have a human resource available for when I get frustrated with, or about, not being able to BF. That's reassuring. Dan will only be able to comfort me so much without knowing what I'll actually be going through.

Speaking of Dan -- He just left for a job interview. Pretty much the first one he's had since being on unemployment for over a year. Chances are, it won't pay as well as unemployment to begin with, but there's opportunity for advancement and better pay within 6 or 7 months. And he's qualified for the job. And the interview is with a girl he knew in school and talks to on Facebook, so hopefully that will work to his advantage.

I am a little nervous about him getting a job right now though, with me having a baby in less than a month. Could be interesting. Apparently though, the position starts at something measly like 20 hours a week, so if he could work it out to do 5 four-hour days and work 9am-1pm and get home by 1:30 (it's in a town about a half-hours drive away), then when I start back to work, it'll be great. Since I was working 2pm-8pm or so. Perfect, and we won't have to pay for child care. And then in those 6 or 7 months, if he were to get more hours or a higher paying position, there's a chance I could stop working all together and do the stay-at-home mom thing for a while. EPIC. But I would absolutely keep up with my pharmacy tech continuing education so as to not lose my certification. Pharm Tech is a pretty sweet position, and since I'm nationally certified, I will always be able to get a job if I ever need/want to go back.

Plus, if I keep my certification, I get to keep the fun "CPhT" (Certified Pharmacy Technician) at the end of my signature. :)

Anyway... only a few days left! We still have to deep clean the house and wash all of Jack's stuff and install and have inspected the carseat bases. Not much to do, but I still don't want to do it all in one day or I'll be big-time bored for the next 3 weeks.

I'm 36 weeks and 5 days pregnant, and feeling pretty good about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment